Whatever stage you’re at, I guarantee that I can help you fix what’s going wrong in your book and in your writing life.
During your free consultation, I will help you see what is keeping you from the work. I will give you solutions to your procrastination, complaints you don’t have enough time, or the constant fear that you’re not “good enough” or “too lazy” to finish a book.
If you’re just starting work on a book, I’ll help you see the big picture, what shape it needs to be in, and how to start your first week of progress. Yes, you can finish this book in only ten weeks.
If you’re stuck in the middle of a book, I will troubleshoot it with you, and give you an assignment for the next week that will unstick you!
I will teach you how to write in scenes, how to make your characters irresistible, how to make dialogue sparkle, and how to make plot twists no one will guess at. I will edit your work meticulously and then guide you to the next step.
Every week, I give you assignments that will lead to you finishing your book. I also do daily accountability check-ins with you to remind you of your goal and briefly talk you through anything that’s going wrong.
You’re going to save YEARS working on this book the wrong way and get it finished in only 10 weeks. All I’m asking for is a chance to show you how I do it, and your commitment to work 1-2 hours every day.
I haven’t met you yet, but I can tell you already that I believe in you and I believe in your book. I just have never met a person who doesn’t have a story that needs to be told, a perspective that is new and unique, a worldview that is beautiful–if you dig down deep enough.
What are the 10 questions people ask about a writing mentorship with Mette?
- What level of commitment do I need to make to do a writing mentorship with Mette? I expect 1-2 hours a day (usually at the same time every day). If you can’t commit to this, you should wait until you can to sign up with a mentorship.
- What level of experience should I have had in writing before I start? You don’t need to have a particular level of experience to sign up for a writing mentorship, but if you’re nervous about your skills, you may want to start with my General Writing video class first. Please do NOT worry about grammatical mistakes or typos. That’s not what I’m here for. We’re looking at bigger picture stuff.
- Do I need to have a full manuscript or can I start with just a book idea? I work with either one, but unless you want to completely revamp your full manuscript, I may not be the right person. If you’ve got an old manuscript that you’ve been playing around with for years, I recommend letting it go and starting something new. You’re a better writer and a better person than you were when you wrote that.
- How often will we meet and when will my deadline to turn pages in be? We meet weekly at the same time generally, but it’s on a flexible schedule. If you need to skip a week, that works. I just bump you to the next week and don’t charge you for that week. I ask that you turn in pages 24 hours before our schedule weekly meeting so I have time to read.
- Will Mette give me general advice or will she edit my manuscript? I do detailed edits when I feel like it’s useful. Sometimes I think you’re going to be changing so much that I don’t.
- If I work with Mette for 10 weeks, will she guarantee my book will get published? Sorry, I can’t guarantee any book publications. I don’t control the universe. I do guarantee that you will become a better writer a whole lot faster through my program and that the process of doing that will get you to publication faster.
- What happens if I don’t finish my book in 10 weeks? You can sign up for another 10 weeks immediately and keep the same time slot or you can take some time off and work on your own, then sign up again later whenever I can fit you in.
- Can I work with Mette on a shorter project or on an ad-hoc basis? If you want to hire me to edit a full manuscript without the mentorship, I charge $5/page (250 words) or you can hire me on an hourly basis ($75/hour)
- Does Mette work with teens? I’m happy to work with teens for $100.week, which will include some video lessons, some personal video chats, and some weekly page editing.
- What if I can’t afford a 10-week mentorship? I understand this SO clearly. When I was starting out, I was on WIC, had three kids under 3 and was so strapped for cash I could barely afford postage stamps to send my manuscripts out. That’s why I have lots of free content here on the site and on YouTube.
If you’ve already had a videochat with me and you’re ready to move forward to finishing this book and getting it ready to publish, click below to pay for it and then we will set up a weekly time to work together. I’m looking forward to it!
10 week Mentorship with Mette Ivie
10 weeks of a national best-selling author’s full attention on you: weekly video chats, daily kicks in the pants, and teaching you to short-circuit the fear that’s keeping you from writing, and helping you learn skills to improve your manuscripts.